29 October 2015

Experienced User - Kate

This week I would like to welcome Kate to share with us how she uses her organisers. 

1. When did you start using an organiser?

The first planner I used was probably one of the simple weekly planners they made us use in school. But I had Fun Faxes when I was little, although I never thought about using one as a planner!

2. How has your use of an organiser changed over the years?

I always loved collecting and using stationery, but I didn’t start using a planner properly until Sixth Form, when I bought a little day per page bound book. I loved it- I wrote down my homework and anything else that was important. During my first 2 and a half years at university I used various different planners, including my iphone calendar, but none of them worked for me, and life felt out of control, until I found Filofaxes!

3. Which diary format works best for you and why?

It depends on what I’m doing, what’s going on in my life. Now that I’m back at university, I’m using day per page, which is the same diary format I used in university in 2011 and 2012, and it’s best for me in this situation. However, this diary format only worked when I had lots of lectures- it didn’t work when I was just doing research for my dissertation, or during the holidays, because I didn’t have much to plan during my days, and when I finished university it sent me in a tale-spin because DPP really didn’t work for me any longer. I still haven’t found what works for me when I’m not at university!

4. What other information do you keep and maintain in your organiser.

Tonnes! In my actual planner, I have a ‘Reference’ section where I keep information I need for when I’m out and about, such as phone numbers I need written down if my phone dies. I have an A6 Van Der Spek which I’m setting up as my main ‘Reference’ binder where I keep all of the other information I need- passwords in code, National Insurance no., NHS no., a list of where I store things (you’d be surprised how you can forget where things live in your house!), etc. In my A5 VDS I have lists of information that refer to projects, but these change as the projects evolve, and then get thrown away when the projects finish.

5. Do you use a 'system' of organisation, and how does it work in your Filofax?

I have my own system. In my ‘Organisation’ section I have my ‘Current’ lists- things that are important currently- a list of current projects, things that are on my mind, things to keep in mind, near future to-dos, shopping list, wish list, etc. In my A5 I keep my projects etc (along with my main notes section and hobbies workbook).

6. What routines and structures do you use?

I used to have a planning routine when I used my bullet journal, as can be seen in the video at these links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uRGZ2LrkCo


and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIU8ATCWNXQ,


but since I changed my set-up at university I haven’t developed a new routine. I’m sure I’ll make a video on it when I figure it out!

7. Do you use one binder or several, and if several, how do you use them?

Yes! I have quite a few now, although fewer than I used to! I don’t have them here at university, so let’s see if I can remember them all…
  • A6 light brown Touch Me Van der Spek- everyday planner
  • A5 pink and purple custom Van der Spek- Notes, projects, hobbies workbook
  • A5 brown Kendal- university notebook
  • A6 brown Touch Me- Egyptology notebook on-the-go
  • A5 Fuchsia Original Filofax- Novel notes
  • A5 Ochre Malden- Egyptology research
  • A5 De Villiers- More Egyptology research!
  • A5 Cuoio and purple custom VDS- Museum Studies dissertation notebook
  • A5 Yellow Original- Hieroglyphic grammar
  • A5 Raspberry Chameleon- journal pages storage
I’ve probably got more, but I can’t remember them right now!

Thank you Kate,

If you would like to take part in this series please email steve@philofaxy.com and mark your email 'Experienced Filofax User'

3 comments:

  1. Gosh Kate - that's a streamlined list! I assumed you would have a massive collection after all the different models you've written about over the years. My memory may be fading, but I'm sure I remember videos and posts about Personal Maldens, Holborns, Dominos, Osterleys and more! And what about your Raydori and other derivatives? I think several of us need to take a hard look at our own collection and streamline in the way you seem to have done. I agree that A5 and A6 is a good combination to go forward with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I would have thought your list would be much longer. Have you been selling them off? This is something I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have watched most of your YouTube videos, they are very inspiring. The one about Planner Paradox is so true!

    ReplyDelete