20 December 2015

Readers Favourite Organiser - Leilani

Today we continue a new series on Philofaxy about readers favourite organisers. Thank you to Leilani for sharing the details of her favourite organiser. 

1. What is your favourite organiser (Make/model/size)?

My favourite organizer is hands down my beloved life partner, Loki the Filofax Compact Regency in a rich Godiva chocolate brown. It's like a chocolate bar and if you look at it long enough, you'll get the endorphins minus the heightened A1c levels.

2. How long have you owned it?

I bought Loki off of a fellow Philofaxer in late 2011, so we're coming up on our 4-year anniversary. I've exchanged glances with other planners and moved into a "cuter" planner for a hot second (cough Kate Spade and LV cough)but at the end of the day, needs trump wants. I need to be more productive and Loki has by far the best combination of features to help me achieve that.

3. What is it that you like about it so much?

Everything! It truly is my ideal planner aesthetically and in terms of utility. For starters, I love exotic and textured leather. However, since 2010 I made a commitment to no longer purchase new exotic leather items as a promise to one of my godkids. (After a field trip he became obsessed with ostriches, crocodiles, and snakes. He asked his mom and me to please stop buying his 'friends' skins'.)The Regency is one of my compromise (the other one is holding onto my existing exotic leather items). In any case, the Regency is a nice, shiny-but-not-glossy faux ostrich that looks like it took a long, luxurious bath in a Godiva chocolate tub.

Despite being compact and sleek, Loki can still fit a lot. The Zeitgeist of Zoe aka Yvonne can attest to Loki's muffin top-liciousness. Loki is my planner, my secondary wallet, menu planner, and my "on-the-go shopping with coupons" buddy. There are card slots in front, which I use to store the cashback credit cards and loyalty cards I use most. The full-length pocket that faces outwards is where I put the smaller bills; the inwards facing pocket is where I put the larger ones.  I use the little pocket in the back to store a photo of my late dad. The outwards facing full-length back pocket is normally empty, but it's where I stick letters to be mailed. The inwards facing back pocket is where I put receipts I acquired throughout the day.

The size itself enables me to be more mindful of what I put in. Though I have some washi-licious dashboards and photos in front, it is first and foremost a productivity tool, not an outlet for creativity.

4. Do you use it all the time?

Yes! Loki truly is my life partner. Loki's been with me through graduate school, a TFA stint, the beginning stages of starting a non-profit, 2 Philofaxy meet-ups (Boston and New York), volunteer work with refugees/immigrants/human trafficking survivors, and he'll be right next to me when I start my second graduate program next year :)

5. Do you think the design could be improved in any way? How?

I wish there were 6 card slots up front instead of 4; I wouldn't have to use an extra credit card holder that adds slight bulk. However, the design is ideal for me as it stands.

And some photographs of my organiser.



Thank you Leilani

If you would like to share with us the details of your favourite organiser, please contact steve @ philofaxy dot com 

7 comments:

  1. Looks as lovely as it did at the Marliave in Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Regency..I have a black personal.I'm not sure I could manage the compact version, but either way the texture of this leather is wonderfully squishy and the design is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this organiser - I have the exact same one which was used for ages till I found I needed more info than I could fit in it. I still look longingly at it whenever I am at my desk though, and will go back to it when life calms down a bit.
    I did have two of them (they were a very lucky charity shop find, both unused) but set one up for a dear friend who I hope will enjoy it as much as I have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Josh! I trust you and your faithful red Winchester are also doing well together?

    June and SMW, the Regency is one of the loveliest Filofax models, isn't it? It's classic yet edgy. Sometimes I think about getting a Personal size (Thor?), but then I remember how annoying it is for me to write in planners with bigger rings that get in the way. ::Sigh:: Maybe someday Filofax will come out with a Flex notebook type in a desk size :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand what you mean about needs trumps wants. I switched over to my Raika personal size from my Day-Timer Malibu, and am thinking about switching back. As much as I like my Raika, I'm thinking about selling it since it doesn't fit my needs anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a compact brown Regency too and I haven't moved out if it since I got it, I love it and it's perfect and I'll cry if I ever lose it. I used to have it in black but I much prefer the brown. I really want a personal Regency just in case I outgrow this but I honestly feel like I'm attached to this one and I can't leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Needs trumps wants"--definitely! Your organizer sounds wonderfully 'loved' and there's nothing like having an old trusted planner 'friend' to help you stay organized. I'm trying to remember if you brought this one to the NYC Philofaxy meetup? (my memory isn't as good as it used to be) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete